Sports Psychology Consultation
Individual Sports Psychology sessions help an athlete improve their mindset and/or deal with any psychological/emotional issues that may be impacting their performance, health, and/or well-being. Many athletes deal with a lot of pressure, performance anxiety, mental blocks or loss of confidence. We individualize each session for each athlete. We work with them to build a strong mindset that is not only applicable in sports, but also in many areas in life. So many professional, Olympic, college, and high school athletes have turned to sport psychology to get ahead of the competition and feel better about themselves. You may be training very hard physically, but forgetting about the mental training is something you can not afford to do. Whether you are trying to get back to a place you once were or trying to reach optimal performance and a new height, sport psychology is one of the critical tools that will get you there.
Nutritional Analysis and Dietary Consultation
- Performance Nutrition Consultation
- Food diary analysis and lifestyle questionnaire completed prior to your consultation
- Full analysis of micronutrient adequacy
- Personalized diet analysis and discussion and recommendations to meet your requirements
- Individualized nutritional requirements for day to day training
- Symptom and trigger analysis of GI distress in training and competition and recommendations
- Meal, snack and food ideas discussed and agreed at your consultation
- Individualized one day meal plan for a typical training day and discussed constructed during your consultation
- Recommendations to optimize your current diet to meet your target for sport and training or competition
TEST, TRAIN, EAT AND THINK LIKE A PRO
Our proven approach to high performance training is designed to achieve long-term success. Our methodologies embody a high performance “cycle of life” – a comprehensive strategy focusing on health, fitness, nutrition, and mental toughness – key foundations for achieving excellence.
We believe our assessment protocol is essential to developing a complete athlete. The Heiden Institute Assessment Protocol consists of screens and tests, each considered important on their own. However, the true power of developing a complete athlete isn't just about assessment results, it comes from our team approach. Unlike most organizations, our Heiden Institute experts work together, analyzing your entire performance profile, allowing us to create the best, most cohesive, personalized plan for you!
The matrix created by the interactions of the variables we assess is vast. But, these are a few primary examples and how they affect your training:
- The Power Profile created by assessing your threshold, VO2max, and sprint power. Your power profile will dictate your specific power and heart rate training zones that allow highly targeted training and better, more efficient training sessions. Threshold, very simply is the intensity level beyond which your body will no longer be able to maintain a steady state of intensity. At higher levels of intensity, you will have to slow down or stop, usually within minutes. Although there are a myriad of terms used to describe this general level of intensity; AT, MLSS, FTP, CP, OBLA, we use an LT or Lactate Threshold test to assess your threshold. Your VO2max is the maximum rate of oxygen that your body is capable of processing and we can assess the power you produce at this limit. The ratio of your threshold and VO2max power is very important in determining what type of training will best suit your needs as a cyclist and indicate which zones are best for you to focus on during your training.
- Your Nutritional Analysis, Blood Panel and DEXA scan are all vital to assess your current diet and recommend changes as necessary to support your goals and aspirations as a healthy athlete and person. The contents of your diet have a direct impact on your body composition and the levels of key vitamins, minerals and hormones in your blood. As an athlete, a few of the key markers in your blood panel are; vitamin D, iron/ferritin, magnesium and zinc. These minerals and vitamin are commonly deficient in athletes and can negatively impact your performance on and off the bike. The DEXA scan is the current gold standard of assessing body composition the results of which will yield precise levels of fat and muscle mass. DEXA not only allows a clear look at your complete body composition but even allows you to see the ratio and amount of lean mass and fat mass in specific body segments; arms, legs, torso etc.
- Your Musculoskeletal Exam, Retul Bike Fit and Functional Movement Screen all lead to a complete evaluation of your quality of movement and factors that may impact any inefficiencies you may have. From these tests the Heiden Institute Team will help you shift back into high quality movement patterns that will help you produce power and remain healthy.
- Last but no least your Medical History and Sport Psychology Screen both interact with several of the assessments listed above and complete our picture of you as an athlete. Your Medical History will help us identify risk factor and potential road blocks to your success as an athlete and quest for health in the short and long term. Your Sport Psychology Screen will allow us to give you the necessary skills to push through previous mental barriers. There is a growing amount of evidence that central fatigue can play an important role in holding us back as athletes and the mental skills that we will teach you can lead you past those previously unbreachable barriers.
Normally this type of comprehensive evaluation process is the domain of professional and Olympic athletes. In those elite level settings, the synergy comes not only from the breadth of analyses, but the fact that the doctors, coaches, and other experts work together as a single team for each athlete. Now, Eric Heiden has assembled a cohesive high caliber team of experts available to you, in one place, at one time. The Heiden Institute.